Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

My mother died in 2013. Can I file and sign a return for her?

Only the personal representative can file the final return of a deceased person.

The personal representative will file a return for the year of death. That person will also file any returns not filed for prior years. A personal representative can be any of these:

  • Executor
  • Administrator
  • Surviving spouse
  • Legal representative
  • Anyone in charge of the deceased's property

If you're the personal representative, write “Personal representative” next to your signature. Also, write these across the top of the first page of the return:

  • "Deceased"
  • Deceased's name
  • Date of death

When you file her return, you don't need to include her death certificate, trust, or will.

Also, the personal representative should complete and attach:

  • Form 1310: Statement of Person Claiming Refund Due to a Deceased Taxpayer -- for any refunds calculated on the final Form 1040
  • Form 56: Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship -- for liability related to the appropriate fiduciary

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.