Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

Can I deduct payments for prior-year federal tax debt?

No. You can't deduct federal taxes you paid. However, you can deduct attorney fees if the attorney worked on these aspects related to the tax:

  • Determination
  • Collection
  • Refund

So, if you had attorney fees to clear your tax debt, deduct those on Schedule A.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.