Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

Can I deduct the cost of my child's private pre-kindergarten school tuition?

No. However, you might qualify for the child and dependent care credit.

For you to claim the child and dependent care credit, the child must be your qualifying child under the rules of the dependency exemption. Also, the qualifying child must have been under the age of 13 at the time services were provided.

You can use your expenses for early childhood education to figure the child and dependent care credit. Preschool tuition fees would qualify.

However, expenses paid for a child to attend kindergarten or a higher grade aren't expenses for the care of the child. You can’t claim a credit for those school expenses.

The work-related dependent care expenses you use to calculate the credit can’t be more than your earned income for the year. This includes your spouse’s earned income.

The credit is also limited to:

  • $3,000 for one qualifying person
  • $6,000 for two or more qualifying persons

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.

Offer Details and Disclosures