Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

I'm a disabled and unemployable military veteran. I received Forms 1099 from the Social Security Administration (SSA) and from USAA. However, I didn't receive a 1099 from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). What should I do?

These benefits you received from the VA aren’t taxable:

  • Pensions
  • Annuities
  • Similar allowances for personal injuries or sickness resulting from active service

So, you won't receive a 1099 from the VA. So, you have the Forms 1099 you need to file. Now, you need to determine if you have enough taxable income required to file a return.

You won’t be taxed on disability benefits you receive if both of these apply:

  • You received the benefits from a disability insurance policy you bought.
  • You paid the premiums for the policy with after-tax dollars.

However, you should include in your income any Social Security disability benefits you receive. This is true of any Social Security benefits you receive.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.