Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

If I'm retired military, do I have to pay North Carolina tax on my military pension?

North Carolina doesn't tax certain retirement benefits U.S. government retirees receive. This includes military retirees. To receive the exclusion, both of these must apply:

  • You must receive the benefits from a certain defined benefit plan. This includes the Federal Employees’ Retirement System.
  • You, as the retiree, had five or more years of creditable service as of Aug. 12, 1989.

If you’re entitled to exclude retirement benefits from North Carolina tax:

  • Claim a deduction on Form D-400, Line 47.
  • Deduct the amount of excludable benefits that are part of your federal taxable income.

You might be able to exclude all your retirement benefits. If so, you must still file a North Carolina return if you meet the minimum filing requirements. These are usually based on your federal adjusted gross income (AGI).

If you don't qualify for that exclusion, you can still deduct up to $4,000 on Form D-400, Line 48. You can deduct up to $8,000 if both of these apply:

  • You’re married filing jointly.
  • You and your spouse both received such U.S. government retirement benefits.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.