Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

I received a Form 1098-T after I filed my return. Do I need to amend my return?

Maybe. A 1098-T isn’t necessary to claim the education credits. So, you might have already claimed one. Assuming you didn’t already claim an education credit, you might need to file an amended return.

If you had scholarship / grant money more than your qualified education expenses, you won’t be eligible for a credit. You'll probably need to file an amended return so you can claim the amount of the scholarship that’s more than the expenses as taxable income.

You should amend the return to claim the expenses if:

  • The new 1098-T has expenses you haven’t yet reported.
  • There's no taxable income.

Use Form 1040X to correct or add additional tax information to your return. Submit 1040X to the IRS. This 1040X will be your new return. It’ll change your original return to include new information. To prepare the 1040X, you need both:

  • Your original Form 1040
  • A new 1040 with the corrections

1040X will ask for the old and new calculations, as well as the difference between the two.  

You can prepare 1040X using the H&R Block online or software program, but you can't e-file it. 1040X must be mailed to the IRS. Or, you can get 1040X at

Allow the IRS 8-12 weeks to process your amended return. If you amend your federal return, you might also need to amend your state return. Contact your state tax agency for more information.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.