Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

My spouse owes back taxes. If my spouse and I file a joint return, will the IRS take my refund to pay my spouse's tax debt?

Yes. The IRS will apply your refund to the tax debt. This is true unless you file an injured spouse form.

You might be an injured spouse if:

  • You file a joint return.
  • The IRS will apply all or part of your refund to your spouse's legally enforceable past-due debt. This includes:
    • Federal tax
    • State tax
    • Child or spousal support
    • Federal nontax debt like student loans

To make an injured spouse claim, file Form 8379. You'll file Form 8379 for each year you qualify. If you haven't already e-filed, you can include this form with your return. If you've already filed, you can mail it to the IRS. The form will delay your refund. However, it can help you to receive part of your refund.

Your spouse can call the IRS to see if he or she has a potential garnishment. To learn more, call the IRS at 800-829-1040.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.