Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

Can I claim a deduction for my new roof?

Maybe. A new roof might qualify for the nonbusiness energy property credit. To claim the credit, both of these must apply:

  • You made qualifying improvements to your main home.
  • The improvements increased your home’s heating and cooling efficiency.

In 2013, the credit is limited to 10% of the purchase price for each eligible item. The items include all of these:

  • Foundation
  • Roof
  • Walls
  • Doors
  • Windows

Eligible items are those that:

  • Meet or exceed criteria established by the 2000 International Energy Conservation Code
  • You installed in your main home in the United States
  • You were the original user of
  • Are reasonably expected to remain in use for at least five years

The product’s maker will have a certification statement. It shows the eligible building components and their climate zones. You must install each component in the specified climate zone.

You can deduct 10% of the purchase price for each eligible item. However, the credit has a lifetime limit of $500 . No more than $200 of that limit can apply to windows and skylights.

You can't deduct installation costs.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.