Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

If my partner and I aren't legally married, can I claim my partner as a dependent?

If you aren't legally married, you can still potentially claim your partner as a dependent. To do so, all of these must be true:

  • Your partner must live with you the entire year.
  • Your partner's income must be less than $3,950.
  • You must provide more than half of your partner's total support for the year.
  • Your partner can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of another taxpayer.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.