Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

If I send money to an inmate, can I claim that person as a dependent?

No. Since the inmate isn't living with you, the person most likely doesn't meet the residency test.

If you and the inmate are related, there's no residency requirement. The inmate might count as a qualifying relative.

However, you won't meet the support test. The qualifying relative support test requires you to provide more than half your dependent's support. The money you send most likely won't make up half the inmate's support, since you won't be providing big expenses like lodging, food, and clothing.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.