Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

Can I receive a Form W-2 and a Form 1099 from the same employer?

If you performed services as both an independent contractor and as an employee, you might receive both forms.

An employer reports all income and bonuses on a W-2. So, you usually won't receive a W-2 and a 1099-MISC from your employer.

If you have employment or services contract, confirm that it says that the services you performed were as:

  • An employee
  • An independent contractor
  • Both an employee and an independent contractor

If you performed all services as an employee:

  1. Enter your 1099-MISC income as wages on your return.
  2. File Form 8919 to report income incorrectly reported to you as an independent contractor.

If you performed part of your services as an independent contractor:

  1. Enter your 1099-MISC income on Schedule C.
  2. Enter any work-related expenses on Schedule C so you can deduct them.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.