Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

Do I have to file a return for a deceased parent?

Yes -- if your parent had met the filing requirements. The same filing requirements apply to filing a final return for the deceased.

A personal representative must file the deceased's final return. This person must also file any returns the deceased didn't file for prior years. The personal representative can be the:

  • Executor
  • Administrator
  • Surviving spouse
  • Legal representative
  • Person in charge of deceased's property

You or someone listed above must file a return if the deceased's gross income was at least:

  • Single filing status:
    • $10,000 if under age 65
    • $11,500 if age 65 or older
  • Married filing jointly:
    • $20,000 if both spouses are under age 65
    • $21,200 if one spouse is under age 65 and one age 65 or older
    • $22,400 if both spouses are age 65 or older
  • Married filing separately -- $3,900 for all ages
  • Head of household:
    • $12,850 if under age 65
    • $14,350 if age 65 or older
  • Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child:
    • $16,100 if under age 65
    • $16,850 if age 65 or older

Other things to consider:

  • There might be other reasons to file besides reporting income.
  • Even if you're not required to file a return for the deceased, you might be required to file other forms.
  • If a refund is owed, you can't claim it unless you file a return.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.