Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

How do I report income I earned as a household employee?

It depends on whether you're an employee or an independent contractor.

If you're an employee, you'll:

  • Receive a W-2 reporting your income
  • Enter your income on Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ

If you're an independent contractor, you'll:

  • Receive a Form 1099-MISC reporting your income
  • Enter the income as self-employment income on Schedule C
  • Deduct business expenses that no one reimbursed you for -- also on Schedule C
  • File Schedule SE to pay your self-employment tax -- if your net self-employment income is $400 or more

Even if you don’t receive a form reporting the income, you must still report it on your return.


Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.