Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

If I never received my state refund from last year, how should I handle that on this year's return?

Report state tax refunds as taxable income if both of these apply:

  • You haven’t received your Form 1099-G from the state.
  • You itemized on your prior-year return.

Check with your state about your missing refund. You can find out if the state issued the check or used your refund to pay any delinquent accounts. If your state used your refund to offset state debt, the refund amount is still subject to taxation. However, if the state mailed you a check, that means the refund and the 1099-G were lost in the mail. If that's the case, and it's taxable, you must report it.

If the refund was never issued and wasn’t used by the state as an offset, you don’t have to report it.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.

Offer Details and Disclosures