Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

How do I find out why the IRS offset my federal refund?

The Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS) will send you a notice if there's an offset. The notice will reflect the original refund amount, your offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency.

If you don't get a notice, you can call the FMS at 800-304-3107 or TDD 866-297-0517.

Contact the agency listed on the notice if you believe you don't owe the debt or you're disputing the amount taken from your refund.

Contact the IRS only if your original refund amount shown on the FMS offset notice differs from the refund amount shown on your return.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.