Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

If my employer didn't withhold any taxes, what do I need to file?

If you're an independent contractor, your employer wouldn't withhold taxes for you. Instead, you'll file Schedule C and Schedule SE. Enter the amounts you received for work as an independent contractor.

Independent contractors usually must make estimated tax payments throughout the year.

If you're an employee, your employer should withhold federal taxes. This depends on the allowances you claimed on W-4. They should also withhold Medicare and Social Security (FICA) taxes.

If your employer didn't withhold the correct amount of federal tax, contact your employer and correct it. When you file your return, you'll owe the amounts your employer should have withheld during the year as unpaid taxes.

If your employer didn't withhold your FICA taxes correctly, ask that those amounts be withheld. Both you and your employer are responsible for the unpaid amounts. You can file Form 8919: Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on Wages to report your share of the uncollected FICA taxes.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.