Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

I received my W-2 but had no federal taxes withheld. Do I still file a return and will I get the EIC?

You'll need to file a return whenever your income is more than the filing requirements. This amount is usually your standard deduction plus your exemption amount. You're also required to file a return when any of these applies:

  • You owe special taxes like:
    • Uncollected Social Security and Medicare taxes
    • Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)
    • Recapture credits
  • You had net earnings from self employment more than the threshold amount.
  • You had certain wages from a church or a qualified church-controlled organization. These would be exempt from employer Social Security and Medicare taxes.

If you’re required to file and you haven’t had taxes withheld, you might owe taxes with your return.

As long as you meet the requirements, you'll still be able to claim the Earned Income Credit (EIC). This is true even though you didn't have any federal taxes withheld.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.