Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

When am I exempt from withholding?

To claim exemption from withholding, you must submit a W-4 to your employer. On the form, you must certify you meet both of these conditions for exemption:

  • Last year you had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld since you had no tax liability.
  • This year you expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld since you expect to have no tax liability.

You can’t claim an exemption from withholding if these apply:

  • Another person can claim you as a dependent on his or her return.
  • Your income is more than $950.
  • Your income includes more than $300 of unearned income (Ex: interest and dividends).

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.