Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

If I worked odd jobs and have dependent children, how can I get a refund?

Your eligibility for a refund will depend on your total income minus deductions and credits. If you qualify, these might reduce your tax liability:

  • Personal and dependent exemptions
  • Child tax-related benefits, like the child tax credit or deducting child and dependent care expenses
  • Refundable credits, like the Earned Income Credit (EIC) or the additional child tax credit

You must report your income either as a W-2 employee or as a self-employed person. In either case, the income from your odd jobs is considered earned income for EIC purposes.

Report self-employment income and expenses on Schedule C. If the net of income minus expenses is $400 or more, you'll also need to:

  • File Schedule SE
  • Pay self-employment taxes

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.