Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

How much do I get for mileage if I'm self-employed?

The 2013 the standard mileage rate is 56.5 cents per mile.

You can only claim the business portion of your vehicle mileage.

You can't claim the standard mileage rate if you:

  • Use the car for hire, like as a taxi
  • Use five or more cars at the same time, like in fleet operations
  • Claim a depreciation deduction for the car using any method other than straight-line depreciation
  • Claim a Section 179 deduction on the car
  • Claim the special depreciation allowance on the car
  • Claim actual car expenses after 1997 for a car you leased
  • Are a rural mail carrier who receives a qualified reimbursement

If you want to use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business. Then, in later years, you can choose to use either the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.

Usually, you can't deduct daily expenses for traveling between your home and work. These are nondeductible commuting expenses. However, there are exceptions.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.