Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

I'm unemployed and withdrew my IRA funds to pay for my medical insurance. Will I have to pay the 10% penalty?

Form 5329, exception 7 allows an exception for an unemployed person who does both of these:

  • Takes distributions from an IRA
  • Uses the distribution to pay for health insurance

To avoid the 10% additional tax, you must have:

  • Lost your job
  • Received unemployment compensation paid under a federal or state law for 12 consecutive weeks
  • Received the IRA distributions during either the year you received the unemployment compensation or the following year
  • Received the IRA distributions no later than 60 days after you were employed

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.