Finding answers to your tax questions is now less taxing.

Get Answers To Your Tax Questions

H&R Block Tax Professionals relentlessly focus on making sure you profit from every deduction and credit available.

My company pays me a vehicle allowance, but it's not on my paycheck or W-2. How do I report the allowance?

If your auto allowance is paid under an accountable plan, the payment won’t be:

  • On your W-2
  • Included in your income on your return
  • Deductible on your return

To be an accountable plan, your auto allowance arrangement must meet these conditions:

  • You must have paid or incurred deductible expenses while performing services as an employee.
  • You must report these expenses to your employer within a reasonable time.
  • You must return either of these within a reasonable time period:
    • Excess reimbursement
    • Excess allowance

If your employer's plan doesn’t meet all three requirements, then:

  • The payments should be in your W-2 wages. If they aren’t, contact your employer for a corrected W-2.
  • You must report the payments as income.
  • You must complete Form 2106 or Form 2106-EZ. Itemize your deductions to deduct your expenses.

Look At Your Life Through Taxes

No matter which life stage you're in, H&R Block has the tools and resources to help you understand how taxes impact your life. It's our Purpose. We look at your life through tax... and find ways to help.

Tax Calculators

Estimate your withholdings, calculate your refund, or find out how health care laws may impact you.

Browse Tax Articles

Looking for articles written by the pros at H&R Block? Search our article database to find answers to all of your tax related questions.