How to Pay & File Taxes for Expats

Regardless of where you live, H&R Block Expat Tax Services can relieve the stress of filing U.S. tax returns and staying compliant with your U.S. tax obligations. Here, we'll explain every step of our virtual process, designed specifically for expats filing abroad. It's as easy as 1-2-3...4-5.

  1. Register online and complete your personal tax organizer.

    Our simple online form requires your first and last name, email address, the country where you currently live and the number of years of returns you wish to file. After you have registered, you will have the opportunity to provide more information about your personal tax situation in our online expat tax organizer. Or, if you’re not quite ready, a link will be emailed to you so you can start at your convenience. YOUR INFORMATION GATHERED WILL INCLUDE:
    • Your Personal Information
    • Your Income
    • Your Expenses
    This information will help us in matching you with an H&R Block expat tax advisor based on your unique tax situation and country where you live as well as help to provide a price quote for preparing your U.S. tax return. Once you've finished the tax organizer, we'll provide you with a personalized checklist based on the answers to your questions to assist you in locating and uploading documents required by the IRS.
  2. Review your price quote and upload your tax documents.

    Next your H&R Block expat tax Advisor will review your information and provide a price quote (typically within 2-3 business days). In addition, you will receive an email with a link to a secure portal so that you can begin uploading documents required by the IRS. Our pricing is tailored to meet the unique situation for each expat client—from the simple to complex—and is very competitive with local or U.S.-based accountants, with a far better value. Assuming there are no additional forms or complexity once the process begins, the fee you are charged will be the same as the estimate that you receive upfront. To provide a range, a return containing employment income earned abroad and U.S. unearned income such as interest income may cost between $300 and $500 USD. ADDITIONAL COSTS WILL APPLY FOR:
    • State tax filing requirements
    • Foreign investments
    • More than 5 non-U.S. bank or financial accounts
    • Rental properties
    • Income from self-employment
    • Ownership of businesses and trusts
  3. We prepare your U.S. tax return.

    Our experienced team of CPAs, tax attorneys and enrolled agents specializes in taxes for expats from the U.S., so you can trust H&R Block Expat Tax Services for all of the following:
    • Federal tax preparation and filing
    • State tax return preparation and filing
    • FBAR filing (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts)
    • Past-due tax returns from prior years
    • Year-round audit support
    • Free extension filing
    • Tax consulting and advice
    • Local tax return preparation in some countries
    Your personal tax advisor will prepare your return, and provide a personal consultation if needed. Consultations are conducted via phone or video conference (Skype) — whichever you prefer.
  4. Pay for and review the return.

    When your tax return is completed, you'll be asked for payment via the H&R Block secure payment portal. Know that protecting your information is important to us. As the largest global tax preparer, we maintain the physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect the information you submit to us. After you pay, your H&R Block expat tax advisor can walk you through your return, answer your questions and offer relevant tax savings tips for next year.
  5. We file your return with the IRS.

    Last but not least, we'll file your completed return with the IRS. In the rare case of IRS questions or an audit, we'll help provide answers and support. After filing, your tax return will be stored in H&R Block's secure tax portal, where it will be safe and easy to access, whenever you need. Taxes for expats have never been easier.

Ready to get started?
Choose the experts in expat taxes.

Get Started