Expat Tax Guide
Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to the most commonly asked expat tax questions.
If you're new to filing U.S. taxes from abroad, start by reading through our answers to the most commonly asked expat questions. Our experts offer everything from advice and insights on expat essentials to detailed information and actionable steps to answer to more complex international tax questions.
Here, you'll find answers to expat tax questions on topics like tax requirements, FATCA regulations, filing rules and penalties, and more. Plus, answers to your expat tax questions and concerns.
Questions About Filing
Get answers to expat questions about tax credits, tax rules while living abroad, FBAR and the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion. And know that if you don't see the international tax questions you're looking for here, our expert tax advisors can provide the answers.
- Do American expats pay U.S. and local taxes?
- What are the Steps to File Taxes as a U.S. Expat?
- What is FATCA and how will it impact me?
- As a U.S. citizen or green card holder living abroad, is there a penalty for not filing taxes?
- What if I've never filed U.S. taxes as an expat before?
- Do I still need to file my U.S. taxes if I retire abroad?
- As a citizen working abroad, what are my expat tax rules and requirements?
- I am thinking about giving up my U.S. citizenship or green card. Will I need to pay an exit tax?
- Can I file a joint return with my spouse who is a nonresident?
- I already paid tax in my country of residence. Do I have to pay to the United States too?
- Am I able to claim the child tax credit if I earn income outside of the United States?
- Even though I live abroad, can I still claim the credit for child/dependent care expenses?
- If I participate in a foreign pension plan, what do I need to know?
- What is the foreign earned income exclusion?
- If I make under the foreign earned income exclusion amount, do I need to file a tax return?
- If I live abroad for 330 days do I automatically qualify for the foreign income exclusion?
- Do I still owe U.S. Social Security or self-employment tax on Foreign Earned Income?
- As an expat, is my 401(k) or IRA taxed in the U.S. if I live abroad?
- Can I transfer my 401(k) to my current retirement plan abroad?
- I have non-U.S. investments in mutual funds, are these taxed the same as U.S. funds?
- What are the rules for contributing to an IRA for U.S. citizens living abroad?
- Do I owe U.S. Tax from Selling Real Estate Abroad?
- I have a non-U.S. rental property that operates at a loss. Do I still need to report it?
- What's an FBAR and why does it matter to me?
- Who must file an FBAR?
- Is the 2017 FBAR filing deadline still June 30th?
- I am an owner of a non-U.S. limited company. What do I need to know?
- As an expat, are my taxes more likely to be audited? How can H&R Block help if I am audited?
File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block
Have more questions about foreign corporations or the tax filing requirements for your private limited company? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an Expat Tax Expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation.