Can I transfer my 401(k) to my current retirement plan abroad?


Can I transfer my 401(k) to my current retirement plan abroad?


When it comes to transferring your 401(k) to international funds, it really depends on your bank. The first step is to check with them.

Even if you can transfer your 401(k) to a foreign retirement plan, it will neither be tax-free nor will it count as a qualified rollover. This means moving your 401(k) to international funds will result in U.S. tax liability and possibly the 10% penalty for an early withdrawal.

If you have other retirement accounts such as a traditional IRA, Roth IRA, or a foreign pension plan, an expat tax expert from H&R Block Expat Tax Services can help you understand how these accounts might be taxed on your U.S. tax return. Additionally, they can help make recommendations for what you can do in the future to reduce your U.S. tax liability.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions about your 401(k)? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there’s an Expat Tax Expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation.

Ready to get started on your U.S. tax return?

We offer 2 convenient ways to prepare your taxes – let us prepare and file your return using our virtual tax preparation service from anywhere, or if you’re in a country where we have an office, you can meet with a tax professional in person.
Get Started