What if I've never filed taxes as an expat before?

Many U.S. citizens living abroad assume that they only have tax obligations to their current country of residence and overlook their U.S. tax duty. Even if taxes are not owed to the IRS or state government, due to anticipated foreign tax credits or foreign earned income exclusions, expats are still required to file a U.S. tax return if their gross income exceeds the filing threshold deduction for their filing status.

If you were honestly unaware of your filing requirement, the time to act is now. Our international tax experts can help you decide on the best course of action for your unique situation. The IRS has several non-penalty disclosure programs available to Americans abroad who have honestly overlooked their filing obligations and never filed taxes. One option is the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an Expat Tax Expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation from H&R Block Expat Tax Services.

Ready to get started on your U.S. tax return?
We offer two convenient ways to prepare your taxes – let us prepare and file your return using our virtual tax preparation service from anywhere, or if you're in a country where we have an office, you can meet with a tax professional in person.

Get Started