As a U.S. citizen or green card holder living abroad, is there a penalty for not filing taxes?

Yes. Just like any U.S. resident, if you're an American living abroad and fail to file your U.S. or state taxes, you may receive a penalty for not filing taxes, even if you do not owe taxes to the IRS or state government. This failure to file penalty could be thousands of dollars, and you may not be able to take part in advantages, special reductions, or benefits offered to U.S. expats to help reduce your U.S. tax obligation.

Fortunately, we can help you avoid penalties for not paying taxes and can even help you file back taxes if you did not realize you were still required to file as an expat.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an expat tax expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation from H&R Block Expat Tax Services.

Ready to get started on your U.S. tax return?
We offer two convenient ways to prepare your taxes – let us prepare and file your return using our virtual tax preparation service from anywhere, or if you're in a country where we have an office, you can meet with a tax professional in person.

Get Started