Do I still need to file my U.S. taxes if I retire abroad?

Yes. If you are an expat enjoying retirement abroad, U.S. taxes, sadly, may still be a reality. If you decide on expat retirement, you are still responsible for your U.S. tax obligations if you are still a U.S. citizen.

There are many tax issues to consider if you retire abroad as an expat. For example, depending on the country you retire in, your social security benefits may no longer be subject to U.S. taxes. Additionally, if you receive income from a foreign retirement plan and pay foreign tax on that income, you may be eligible for U.S. tax credits.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an expat tax expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation from H&R Block Expat Tax Services.

Ready to get started on your U.S. tax return?
We offer two convenient ways to prepare your taxes – let us prepare and file your return using our virtual tax preparation service from anywhere, or if you're in a country where we have an office, you can meet with a tax professional in person.

Get Started