[an error occurred while processing this directive]

U.S. expat taxes in the UAE

As an American or green card holder living in the UAE, taking care of your U.S. taxes can feel like a complicated task. Knowing which tax rules affect you and understanding your options is a lot to stay on top of.

With H&R Block, you can rest easy knowing you’ve found the right expertise for U.S. expat taxes in the UAE. Whether you need expat tax guidance on filing from abroad or information on FATCA and FBAR rules, we’re here to help.

Ready to file your expat taxes? We’ve got a tax solution for you—whether you want to DIY your expat taxes or leave it to one of our experienced Tax Advisors. Head on over to our Ways to File page to choose your journey and get started.

What U.S. citizens living or working in the UAE should know

For starters, Americans and U.S. green card holders living in the UAE should continue to file a U.S. tax return each year. However, filing while abroad comes with new considerations and questions. “Do I have additional information to report to the IRS? How do my UAE financial accounts affect my filing? What options do I have to reduce my tax bill?”

We’ve outlined a few considerations for Americans working in the UAE, so you know what affects the tax you pay and which forms you need to file. Of course, tax rules for U.S. expats go beyond what we’ve listed below.

Need help? Our experienced tax advisors have seen it all and are here for you when you’re ready to tackle your taxes.

U.S. Expat Tax Filing Considerations

Working as a U.S. citizen in the UAE can affect your taxes even if you don’t stay for very long. For example, if you earn income while on a short-term assignment, you’ll need to report that income on your U.S. taxes. As you establish deeper financial roots in the UAE, you’ll have more considerations for your American tax filing.

You may need to report your UAE financial accounts and assets. Generally, U.S. taxpayers with more than $10,000 in foreign bank or financial accounts are subject to FBAR filing and reporting requirements. You may also be subject to FATCA reporting requirements if you have assets valued at $200,000 and higher.

UAE Tax Filing Not Required

In most cases, when U.S. expats live or work abroad, they need to consider their American and host country taxes each year. As an American in the UAE, you’ll only need to file taxes on the U.S. side as the UAE doesn’t tax income.

You may be able lower your U.S. bill using the foreign earned income exclusion. This provision allows you to exclude your wages from your U.S. taxes. This option is available to those who meet certain time-based residency requirements. You may have also heard of the foreign tax credit, but that credit is not applicable for Americans working in the UAE as there are no income taxes there.

How H&R Block can help Americans working in the UAE

Are you a U.S. citizen living in the UAE? H&R Block Expat Tax Services is here to help you get your U.S. taxes in order. With multiple ways to file, we’ve got a tax solution for you. Get started with our made-for-expats online expat tax services today!