I am an owner of a non-U.S. limited company. What do I need to know?

Having an ownership interest in a foreign corporation, such as a partnership or a private limited company, can carry additional U.S. reporting and tax requirements. There are many nuances to consider as you determine what additional forms need to be filed – such as Form 5471 or 8865 – or whether other tax consequences need to be examined by your advisor. If your ownership is 10% or greater in a foreign business, or if you own a smaller percentage and are related to other owners in the same business, you may need to report the business on your U.S. tax return. Your Expat Tax Advisor will be able to help determine the additional requirements needed for your business.

File Your Expat Tax Return with H&R Block

Have more questions about foreign corporations or the tax filing requirements for your private limited company? Ready to file? No matter how complicated your U.S. tax return is, there's an Expat Tax Expert ready to help. Get started with Virtual Expat Tax Preparation.