What are the most common notices that Expats may receive?

We’ve provided a list of common notices that Expats may receive from the IRS below. As you might know, the IRS uses mail as its primary form of contact and does not use email or social media. Unfortunately, because the IRS sends notices via the mail, those sent to international addresses are often late or misdelivered.

If you receive a notice, you’ll be able to see the notice name in the upper right-hand corner of the document. Your notice will outline the issue and provide you information about how to respond. This may include specific telephone numbers or addresses you should use. In some cases, a response may not be needed.

Note: You should keep copies of the notices you receive with your other tax files and documents.

Here are the most common notices an Expat may receive and a brief description of each:

  • CP49 – Your Form 1040 overpayment was applied to unpaid balance
  • CP24 – Your estimated tax payments don’t match the IRS records
  • CP2000 – Your tax return doesn’t match IRS income information
  • CP32A – Your refund check was sent but not cashed.

When you file with H&R Block Expat Tax Services, you have the option to sign up for Advance Notice and Year-Round Audit Support to have us manage any IRS notice issued while you are abroad. By adding this service to your tax preparation, you won’t have to worry about IRS notices being lost in the mail or the hassle of managing potential issues.