U.S. Expats In Singapore


Tax Tips For Americans Living In Singapore

If you have U.S. tax filing obligations and live in Singapore, check out these tax tips:

Maximizing your U.S. Tax Situation in Singapore: Know how your income and your housing allowance may affect your U.S. taxes while living in Singapore.

As a U.S. person living in Singapore, taking advantage of all of your U.S. tax benefits will be essential to ensuring that your tax liability is minimized both now and in the future.

Catching Up With Prior Year U.S. Tax Obligations

You haven’t filed your U.S. Taxes in a while... maybe never since you’ve been abroad. What should you do? Let our tax experts offer some suggestions.

Tax Filing Deadlines

Most U.S. taxpayers must file tax returns and pay any taxes due by April 15 of the following calendar year. If you’re a U.S. citizen, this rule applies to you even if you’re an expat living and working in another country. However, if you’re an expat the rules for expat tax deadlines are a little different.

Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

If you’re an expat, you might be able to exclude foreign earned income from U.S. tax up to $101,300 for 2016. This exclusion is available only for earned income and doesn’t apply to passive income.


New rules on financial reporting will affect expats. If you’re an expat who hasn’t been filing returns and FBARs, this could affect you.

We can help with your U.S. taxes

Evan White, JD
Region Tax Manager

We can help with your U.S. taxes

Evan White is a tax attorney who has worked with H&R Block since 2011. Evan began working with Expat Tax Services in 2013, focusing on voluntary disclosure options offered by the IRS for noncompliant expats. Evan specializes in business, investment, foreign pension, informational reporting and compliance matters.

More About U.S. taxes in Singapore
U.S. Tax Filing Deadline for Americans Abroad

Prompt, knowledgeable assistance made everything easy!

Sarah W. Germany

Very clear and attentive service.

Kelly W. Sweden

I felt like I was in expert hands for a somewhat complicated return.

Jeanne B. Italy

Prompt, thorough help from my tax preparer.

Eric B. South Korea

Excellent, prompt, and friendly advice and service in complex tax matters.

Christopher P. Austria

Expat Tax Guide

We understand that U.S. taxes for expats can be complicated. It’s why we put together a simple expat tax guide to filing and staying compliant when you’re abroad, with answers, articles and guidance on what to do and where to start.

Do I need to file U.S. and local taxes as a dual citizen?

Do I need to file U.S. and local taxes as a dual citizen?

Can I file my U.S. taxes remotely with H&R Block?

Can I file my U.S. taxes remotely with H&R Block?

As a citizen working abroad, what are my tax requirements?

As a citizen working abroad, what are my tax requirements?
View Our Expat Guide

Do I need to file U.S. and local taxes as a dual citizen?

Get Started

Our Guarantee

100% Accuracy

We guarantee that your tax return is 100% accurate. Although our expat tax advisors are among the best in the business, they’re human. If your advisor makes an error on your expat taxes, H&R Block will pay all resulting penalties and interest. When you choose H&R Block to prepare your U.S. tax return,  you will have the assurance knowing it will be prepared accurately every year. 

Our Promise

100% Satisfaction

If you're not 100% satisfied with the expat tax preparation service you received from H&R Block, we'll continue to work to make sure you are and do whatever is necessary to make it right. We want to earn your business and referrals to friends, colleagues, and family.

Ready To Get Started?

We offer 2 convenient ways to prepare your taxes – let us prepare and file your return using our virtual service from anywhere, or visit us in an office in your country.

Expat Tax Preparation from Anywhere

Work with one of our expat tax experts from wherever you are. Just fill out the form below to get started on your U.S. tax return. Protecting your information is important to us. As the largest global tax preparer, we maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect the information you submit to us.

  1. Register online and complete your expat tax organizer
  2. We assign your tax advisor and provide a price quote
  3. We prepare your U.S. tax return
  4. Pay for and review the return
  5. We file your return with the IRS

We specialize in simple to complex U.S. taxes for expats:

  • Federal tax preparation and filing
  • State tax return preparation and filing
  • FBAR filing (Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts)
  • Past-due tax returns from prior years
  • Year-round audit support
  • Free extension filing
  • Tax consulting and advice
  • Local tax return preparation in some countries

Our pricing is tailored to meet the unique situation for each Expat client – from the simple to complex. Our prices are very competitive with local or U.S.-based accountants and a much better value than large accounting firms. We will provide a precise fee quote. Assuming there are no additional forms or complexity once the process begins, the fee you are charged will be the same as the estimate that you receive upfront.

To provide a range, with simple employment income and some bank account interest only, the typical price for a tax return prepared and filed is between $300 and $500 USD. Additional costs will apply for:

  • State tax filing requirements
  • Foreign investments
  • More than 5 non-U.S. bank or financial accounts
  • Rental properties
  • Income from self-employment
  • Ownership of businesses and trusts
  • Local country taxes (where applicable)