I have a question about a business phone tax deduction. My job requires that I have a cell phone. Would I qualify for a business cell phone deduction on my tax return?
To claim a business phone tax deduction you will need to determine the portion of the phone bill that relates to your business. To qualify for a business cell phone deduction both of these apply:
- The cell phone plan is for the convenience of your employer.
- The cell phone is a condition of your employment.
You can deduct charges for extra services beyond the base bill if they’re job-related expenses. You should keep records that show:
- Amount of employee business expense
- Time and place you incurred the expense
- Business purpose of the expense
You can also take a depreciation deduction for the business-use portion of the cost of the cell phone.
Ready to file?
You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.
So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.