Get Answers


I have a question about an HSA tax deduction. I have amounts withheld from my paycheck to fund my HSA. Could my contributions be eligible for an HSA deduction?

Amounts withheld from your paycheck for your health savings account (HSA) are already excluded from your income. Therefore, your contributions would not qualify for an HSA tax deduction.  

If you voluntarily withhold some or all of the amount from your paychecks through a cafeteria plan, then you would treat these contributions as employer contributions. Report all contributions on Form 8889, including the contributions from your employer. Total employer and employee contributions are reported on your W-2, Box 12, using code W.



Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office