Get Answers


IRS Notice CP11A

We have changed the amount of your Earned Income Credit

The IRS can challenge the Earned Income Tax Credit if it perceives there's an error on your return. The IRS does this using information it has on file, and challenges are generally based on income, dependents and/or filing status. Let H&R Block help you determine whether you qualify.

What happened?

  1. When the IRS processed your tax return, it discovered tax return errors related to the earned income credit you claimed.
  2. The IRS corrected the earned income credit error, which resulted in additional taxes owed.
  3. The IRS sent CP11A to let you know your return was adjusted, and to let you know the amount you now owe.

How can H&R Block help?

  • Occasionally, the IRS is missing information in its records and an IRS notice is sent in error. We'll look into the credit you claimed to confirm if you qualify.
  • If the notice is correct and you can't afford to pay the amount, we'll review payment plan options for which you may qualify.

Have questions about a CP11A notice you received? Schedule a FREE tax consultation with an H&R Block tax professional today. We'll sit down to review your notice, answer your questions, and, if necessary, recommend next steps to get your issue resolved.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office