Get Answers


IRS Notice CP49

Overpayment applied to owed taxes

Each year, millions of taxpayers are faced with a tax bill they can't afford to pay. If the IRS sends you a notice about an unpaid balance, the first thing to do is make sure the amount is correct. Let the experts at H&R Block research your balance and make sure you don't wind up paying any more than required.

What happened?

  1. You had a tax balance and didn't pay it in full.
  2. You filed a tax return with a refund due.
  3. You received a CP14 notice informing you part or all of your refund was used to pay the back taxes owed.

How can H&R Block help?

  • We will research your IRS account to find out what caused your refund to be reduced.
  • If penalties have been assessed, we will determine whether you qualify to have them removed.

Have questions about a CP49 notice you received? Schedule a FREE consultation with an H&R Block tax professional today. We'll sit down to review your notice, answer your questions, and, if necessary, recommend next steps to get your issue resolved.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office