Get Answers


IRS Notice CP81

We haven't received your tax return - credit on account

Many situations can lead to an IRS notice about an unfiled tax return. Perhaps your return hasn't been processed yet, and the IRS sent the notice in error. Maybe something prevented you from filing your return this year. Whatever the case, H&R Block will help you get the issue straightened out and make sure the problem doesn't get worse.

What happened?

  1. The IRS never received a tax return from you for the year specified, and the IRS determined you have a refund for that period.
  2. The IRS sent CP81 to let you know this tax refund will expire if the IRS doesn't receive a tax return from you.

How can H&R Block help?

  • Sometimes, the IRS is missing information. If you think you filed a tax return, but received a CP81 notice, come into an office and we will contact the IRS to research your account.
  • If you haven't filed your return yet, we'll help you gather the required information and file a tax return for you.

Have questions about a CP81 notice you received? Schedule a FREE consultation with an H&R Block tax professional today. We'll sit down to review your notice, answer your questions, and, if necessary, recommend next steps to get your issue resolved.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office