Get Answers


I have a question about claiming education credits for dependents. If I'm currently enrolled in college and my parents don't claim me as a dependent, are they still able to claim qualified college expenses for tuition and expenses related to my schooling?

No, your parents are not able to claim qualified college expenses if they haven't claimed you as a dependent. They are not able to claim any education credits for a nondependent child. To be able to claim education credit, you must be a dependent claimed as an exemption on your parents' tax return. However, you might be able to claim the education credits if:

  • You’re not your parents' dependent.
  • You or your parents paid qualified college expenses.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office