I have a question about EIC qualifications. If I receive Social Security income benefits and raise a young child, am I eligible to claim EIC?
You do not meet EIC qualifications unless you have earned income. Social Security benefits aren't considered earned income.
Earned income comes from activities to which both of these apply:
- You actively participate in the activity.
- You’re compensated for services performed in the activity.
These are types of earned income:
- Wages or salaries
- Self-employment net earnings
- Strike benefits a union pays
Earned income doesn't include:
- Nontaxable sources of income earned passively, like:
- Social Security payments, including disability payments
- Nontaxable foster care and welfare benefit payments
Ready to file?
You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.
So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.