Get Answers


Foreign Tax Credit

If you paid foreign income taxes, you might qualify to claim the foreign tax credit. The foreign tax credit helps relieve the burden of paying taxes twice on the same income. The credit is nonrefundable. You can have carryover and carryback for any amounts you can't use in the current tax year.

To claim the foreign tax credit, all of these must be true:

  • The tax must be imposed on you.
  • You paid or accrued the tax.
  • The tax is a legal and actual foreign tax liability.
  • The tax is an income tax or a tax in lieu of income tax. For this purpose, income is defined as a gain derived from capital, labor, or both.

Types of foreign income you might have paid foreign income taxes on include:

  • Compensation for services provided in that country
  • Interest paid by a payer located outside the United States
  • Dividends paid by a corporation located outside the United States
  • Gains you received when both of these applied:
    • You sold nondepreciable personal property.
    • You had a tax home outside the United States.

You can claim either a foreign tax credit or a deduction for the foreign taxes paid. Usually, the credit will give you the larger tax savings. However, some restrictions on the credit might make the deduction the better option for you.

Some international mutual funds invest in foreign businesses and pay foreign income taxes. If you own shares in an international mutual fund, you might qualify to claim the foreign tax credit. See the Form 1099-DIV your mutual fund company sent you to find out.

Use Form 1116: Foreign Tax Credit to calculate foreign tax credit. However, you can claim the credit directly on Form 1040 if you meet all of these conditions:

  • Your foreign income is only from unearned income, like:
    • Interest
    • Dividends
    • Rents
    • Royalties
    • Annuities
    • Sales of non-income-producing property
    • Sales of property held for investment
  • The amount of foreign income taxes you paid isn't more than $300 -- or $600 if married filing jointly.
  • All of your foreign income is shown on a payee statement (Ex: Form 1099-DIV or Form 1099-INT).
  • You choose this procedure for the tax year.

To learn more, see Publication 514: Foreign Tax Credit for Individuals at

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office