Get Answers


I lived in Indiana in 2016 but moved to Utah for a new job in 2017. My new employer gave me a salary advance in late 2016. When filing taxes, do I have to file a Utah return and am I subject to salary advance tax?

No. Utah filing return rules say you can’t consider any of these from outside the state from Utah sources:

  • Salary
  • Wages
  • Commission
  • Compensation for personal services

No services were rendered in Utah in 2016, so this is not Utah source income so you need not file taxes for a Utah return.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office