Get Answers


Do I use a Schedule D Form to claim my capital loss carryover from last year?

Report the capital loss carryover on a Schedule D Form. When you carry over a loss, it retains its original character as either long-term or short-term.

Add a short-term capital loss carried over to the next tax year to short-term losses occurring in that year. A long-term capital loss carried over to the next year reduces that year's long-term gains before its short-term gains.

If you have both short-term and long-term losses, apply your short-term losses first. Apply these against the allowable capital-loss deduction. If you haven’t reached the limit on the capital-loss deduction after using the short-term losses, apply long-term losses until you reach the limit.

You can carry over extra capital loss indefinitely.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office