Get Answers


I have a question about self employment income -- If I was self-employed, do I have to report self employment income?

Regarding your question: do I have to report self employment income, the answer is yes. Report the income and expenses using Schedule C and Schedule SE:

  • Report the income as self employment income on Schedule C. You must include all of your self employment income -- Even if you didn't receive a form reporting your income, like a 1099-MISC.
  • Deduct business expenses that no one reimbursed you for. Report expenses on Schedule C, too.
  • If your net self employment income is $400 or more, file Schedule SE to pay your self employment tax.


Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office