Get Answers


When do I have to pay self-employment tax on a self-employment tax form?

Self-employment tax is intended to cover the employer and employee’s share of Social Security and Medicare tax. You must pay self-employment tax if you have either of these:

  • $400 or more in net self-employment earnings as reported on Schedule C for sole proprietors and independent contractors
  • $108 or more in church-employee income, if the church elected exemption from Social Security and Medicare tax and you’re not exempt

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office