Get Answers


I have a question about dividend taxes. I received dividends and interest income during the year. Am I subject to dividend income taxes?

Yes. You will likely owe dividend income taxes as all dividend income is taxable.

You should receive a Form 1099-DIV reporting your dividends for 2016. Some items reported on Form 1099-DIV are non-dividend distributions. They're subject to tax only when the distribution is more than your basis in the stock.

If you’re required to file a return and owe dividend taxes, report your dividends on your Form 1040.  

If you had more than $1,500 of taxable interest or ordinary dividends, you’ll need to file Schedule B.


Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office