Get Answers


Do I have to report my Social Security benefits?

If you're required to file, you must report the taxable portion of your Social Security benefits on Form 1040, Page 1.

The taxable portion of Social Security benefits is the amount your provisional income exceeds:

  • $25,000 if filing as single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er)
  • $32,000 if married filing jointly
  • $0 if you both:
    • File married filing separately
    • Lived with your spouse at any time in the year

Provisional income is usually half of Social Security benefits plus other taxable and tax-exempt income.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office