Get Answers


If my former spouse and I are filing taxes after divorce, who gets to report the Form 1099-G that came with both our names on it?

Following divorce, you must allocate any refund money that resulted from a deduction claimed on a state or local return to the person that originally paid the expenses, based on your individual portion. Do so if both of these apply:

  • You filed a joint state or local return in an earlier year.
  • You’re not filing a joint Form 1040 with the same person for the current year.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office