Get Answers


I lived in another state for part of 2016. How do I go about filing taxes in multiple states?

It depends on the state. If you’re in another state for a temporary assignment, you can usually file as a nonresident. Temporary assignments are those that last less than a year.

If you’ll be moving to the other state, you’ll most likely need to file part-year resident returns and claim part year resident income for both states. If you continue to live in the second state in future years, you'll file as a full year resident.

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office