Get Answers


How can I pay taxes I owe?

  • There are several ways to go about paying taxes you owe. You can pay tax by credit or debit card at an IRS-sponsored pay site
  • You can mail a check with your payment balance due to the address listed on your filing instructions with your Form 1040-V
  • If, for whatever reason, you can't pay taxes, you can request additional time to pay your tax in full. To do so:

    • Use the Online Payment Agreement application on
    • Contact the IRS at 800-829-1040.
    • Use Form 9465: Installment Agreement Request.

    Instead of an Installment agreement, if you owe taxes and you request and are granted an additional 120 days to pay the tax in full, you’ll usually pay less in penalties and interest. You’ll pay more if you repaid the debt repaid through an installment agreement over a longer period of time. There’s no fee for this short extension of time to pay.

    If you file an extension (Form 4868), it’s only an extension of time to file. It's not an extension of time to pay. However, you’ll only be subject to interest (not penalties) if all of these are true:

    • You made payments of at least 90% of the tax due by the filing deadline.
    • You file your return.
    • You pay the remaining balance by the extension deadline.

    Ready to file?

    You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


    So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

    Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office