Get Answers


I moved out of the country for a full-time job. Do I have to pay estimated federal and state expat taxes on income I earned outside the country?

Yes. If you're a U.S. citizen, you’re subject to the same requirements that apply to U.S. citizens in the United States. You might need to pay estimated expat US taxes, depending on the amount of your income and withholding.

However, there's an exception if you qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion. This allows you to exclude your foreign earned income from U.S. federal and state taxes. If you'd like to learn more, see Publication 54: Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad at

Ready to file?

You've got your forms. And we've got your back. There's only one thing left to do. Let's do this.


So how much will you get (or owe) this year? That’s the million-dollar question. We happen to have three very useful calculators to help you estimate your refund or balance due.

Need Live Support? 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625) or Find An Office